Here at Wedding Colors we love all things whimsical… and colorful of course…and when I viewed Grace & Matt’s navy & coral barn wedding I was instantly smitten. Not only is their beautiful shabby chic wedding colorful but it has lots of fun details that I love. Seriously, when you include Disney’s Mickey & Minnie into the mix, games, popcorn, Moon Pies, and a couple of sweet pugs – you have one fun and whimsical affair. Get a glance into their whimsical wedding day at The Barn on Willis Branch Road in Tennessee by viewing Anjeanette Illustration Photography’s prefect captures. And when you’re done with that, read a little about the bride and groom’s love story, the wedding details, and also so valuable advice from the bride herself.
From the bride, Grace:
How did you meet?
Matt and I were introduced through a mutual friend. She was the attendance clerk at the school that I work at and she also worked part time for Matt. She came to me one day at school and told me that she thought that I should meet this guy….so I gave it a shot! I Facebook messaged him, but I soon found out that he was already dating someone at that time! Oops! Talk about bad timing! Several months later, after his dating relationship had ended, we reconnected…and the rest is history!
Who proposed marriage and how did that proposal happen?
Matt and I dated for a little over 2 1/2 months before he proposed. He took me downtown for a delicious dinner at The Old Spaghetti Factory. I thought it was kind of strange that he didn’t eat much, but I ate up anyways! We made our way over to The Melting Pot, and we were seated at this cute, romantic corner booth. There were flowers on the table, and I thought it was so romantic, but I had no Idea what was coming next! The waiter came over and took our order, and Matt and I were just talking, when all of a sudden the waiter brought a plate to our table with the words “Will You Marry Me?” written in chocolate and a rose with a beautiful diamond ring in the middle sitting on it! I immediately said yes…and then cried and cried, haha! We went on a romantic carriage ride afterwards to celebrate!
How did you decide on your venue?
I initially saw advertisements for my venue in a wedding booklet. I decided to check it out for myself, and I fell in love! The location was perfect (10 mins from our home). It had that beautiful rustic, shabby chic look that I was wanting. The owner had so many beautiful antiques that she had decorated with that were a part of the package and gave that extra special touch! Chairs and tables were included, which was a huge money saver, and it had the most beautiful landscaped, wooded views from the barn! It was like having an outdoor wedding inside!
Where did you get the inspiration for your color palette and design?
The inspiration for our color palette came from my wardrobe! I looked and noticed that my two favorite colors to wear and pair together are navy and coral….so it was an easy choice for the wedding! We added touches of burlap and lace to add to the shabby chic theme, and it turned out perfect!
Three things you’re glad you did:
1. We are so glad that we hired a wedding planner! She was like superwoman! I never could have made it through the wedding without her help!
2. We are glad that we decided to have our dogs in the wedding. We debated this decision for a long time, but we ultimately decided to go for it! It was perfect! They added the perfect touch of fun, humor, and…the perfect touch of us!
3. I am so glad that we paid extra to get the dress of my dreams! The dress I chose was about 3x more than we had originally budgeted for, but I fell in love with it! We actually cut a few things from the wedding in order to pay for the dress, and it was so worth it! I felt beautiful, and it was truly my dream dress!
What are some of your favorite memories of the day?
- Matt and my mother did a choreographed dance at the reception that was so fun!
- The flower girl danced all night long and never stopped!-Watching all of the kids have a blast at the wedding with glow necklaces, face painting, and lawn games!
- Matt’s sister gave me a beautiful charm that belonged to their mother that has passed away to pin onto my bouquet in memory of her!
- One of my precious students sang “So This Is Love” during the ceremony….so special because I am a music teacher and Matt and I both love Disney!
- Walking down the aisle to the man of my dreams and saying “I do”!
Do you have any advice for other brides?
- Find the dress that you love and go with it, regardless of price! You can always cut corners in other areas to make it fit into your budget!
- If at all possible, keep it simple with the floral arrangement at the reception. For our barn wedding, we used a lot of mason jars and baby’s breath…super cheap and chic!
- Plan ahead! Vendors book up very quickly, so plan ahead!
- The photographer is worth it….go for a great one! We are so glad that we invested in an amazing photographer! The pictures are amazing treasures that we will have our whole life! Don’t go cheap on a photographer, ladies!! Do your research and find an awesome one!
- Spanx! Buy one and wear it….it will be your best friend!
- Have fun! Try not to stress, and just enjoy your big day!
Photographer: Anjeanette Illustration Photography|Dress Store: Bridal Warehouse|Caterer: Chick-fil-a Glenbrook|Bridesmaid Dresses: David’s Bridal|Tuxedo and Mens Attire: Men’s Wearhouse|Event Planner: Tammie Giles|DJ: TCOB Productions|Equipment Rentals: HH Elegant Events|Beauty: Southern Roots Salon |Event Venue: The Barn on Willis Branch Road